Purpose of the Union Label Committee
The Union Label Committee informs and educates members about the products and services we buy and use as consumers. This committee helps to emphasize the importance of supporting goods and services produced by union members under union-won working conditions. And, keeps members informed of union products and their availability in the community. This committee also updates members on product manufacturing that has been moved out of the United States and product boycotts endorsed by the AFL-CIO.
This committee can promote union label by:
- Work with the Education Committee to conduct the Ethical Consumer workshop at your local union. Your local union leadership can request the curriculum kit through your Servicing Rep.
- Presenting Union Label information at membership meetings
- Developing and distributing buying guides – this can be an overall guide or specific, like: candy for Valentine’s, Easter, Halloween, back-to-school or Christmas shopping, there are certain times of the year when people pay attention to shopping
- Provide Union Label content and announcements for the Local Union newsletter, website or social media
- Asking people to take the Union Label Pledge
- Designing a traveling display to be used at civic and school functions
- Joining school boards or PTA’s to promote Buying American/Buying Union
- Attending Community or Town Hall meetings to promote spending tax dollars on Union made school buses, fire equipment and police equipment
- Asking management to buy or lease union-made equipment and office supplies and hire union companies and contractors to service the worksite
- Reminding leaders to use union vendors for catering picnics or parties
- Reminding members to book travel on union airlines and in union hotels
Union Label Golden Rule…
Union members, teach your spouses. Union parents, teach your
children. And don’t forget to teach your friends and neighbors to
recognize and demand union label products and services.